Top Ten African Musicians
There are several lists of top African musicians for 2023. Here are some of the most popular ones:
Here are some of the top African musicians of 2023:
- Burna Boy: Burna Boy is an African afrobeat’s superstar who has performed at the most prestigious stages and filled up stadiums around the world. He broke the record as the first African artiste to fill up the iconic Wembley stadium to its 80,000 capacities in England, La defense Arena in France just to mention. He recently became the first African act to perform at the UEFA Champions league final where he put up a stellar performance. Burna Boy also performed at the famous Coachella Festival in the US and only the sky is the limit to his stardom. His recent album “Love, Damini”, released in July 2022 is composed of massive hits such as “Last”, “Plenty” among others which continue to dominate the global airwaves. His recent song “Sitting’ On Top Of The World has cemented his status as the “African Giant” turned to global super star .
- Tems: Tems is a Nigerian singer and songwriter who rose to prominence after being featured on Wizkid’s 2020 single “Essence”, which peaked at number 9 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart following the release of the remix version with Justin Bieber. The song earned her a Grammy Award nomination. That same year, she was featured on the song “Fountains” by Drake. In 2023, Tems has cemented her status as a world Diva from a humble Nigerian girl. She has bagged numerous prestigious awards including a Grammy Award for Best Melodic Rap Performance having delivered excellent vocals on the massive hit “Wait For U” with Future and Drake. She also bagged the prestigious Oscar for Best Original Song as a contributing song writer .
- Rema: Rema is a Nigerian singer and rapper who has morphed into a global music icon because of his massive hit “Calm Down” released in 2022 which is indeed one of the biggest songs in the world. The “Calm Down” remix with Selena Gomez peaked at No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 and led the U.S. Afrobeat’s Songs for a record-setting 40 week. He rose to stardom after releasing the song “Dumebi”. In 2019, he signed a record deal with Jon zing World, a subsidiary of Mavin Records .
- WizKid: Wizkid is regarded as one of the biggest and most influential African artists of all time. In October 2020, he released his fourth album, Made in Lagos, which received commercial success and acclaim, reaching number-one on the Billboard World Album Chart. The album includes the single “Essence” featuring Tems, which became the first Nigerian song to chart on the Billboard Hot 100 and reached the top ten following a remix released by Justin Bieber .
- Davido: Davido is a Nigerian-American singer, songwriter, and record producer who has won numerous awards including BET Awards, MTV Europe Music Awards, and MOBO Awards among others .
- Libianca: Libianca is an Ivorian singer-songwriter who has been making waves in Africa’s music industry since her debut single “Mama” was released in 2019 .
- CKay: CKay is a Nigerian singer-songwriter and producer who has worked with several artists including Joeboy, DJ Neptune, and Blaqbonez among others 1.
- Ayrr Star: Ayrr Star is a Nigerian singer-songwriter who rose to prominence after releasing his debut single “Away” in March 2020 .
- Fireboy DML: Fireboy DML is a Nigerian singer-songwriter who rose to prominence after releasing his debut studio album “Laughter, Tears and Goosebumps” in 2019 .
- Asake: Asake is a Nigerian singer-songwriter who rose to prominence after releasing his debut single “Mr Money” in November 2020 .