Livelihoods & Food Security Officer – Ethiopia Jigjiga
Livelihoods & Food Security Officer – Ethiopia Jigjiga
Job Category: Livelihood and Food Security
Posting Date: 06/02/2021, 4:10 PM
Apply Before: 06/15/2021, 4:10 PM
Degree Level: Bachelor’s Degree
Job Schedule: Full time
Position: Livelihood and Food Security Project Officer
Reports to: Food Security and Livelihood Coordinator
Supervision of: NRC Livelihood and Food security project activities in Somali region
Duty station: Jigjiga with frequent travel to Operational area
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
Role and responsibilities
The purpose of Livelihood and food security project officer position is to implement the livelihoods and food security intervention of the different projects under jigjiga Area Office and assist the livelihoods and Food security project coordinator in planning and executing programme activities. The livelihood and food security project officer will be facilitating trainings like Business development skill, entrepreneurship, and vocational training for youth’s group and provision of business starting up cash, Income generating activities and livelihoods diversification capacity building training for female groups, facilitating provision of agricultural inputs such as farm tools and seeds for the beneficiary. Facilitating conditional cash intervention process and liaison government in MOU, Monitoring and reporting and closely working with beneficiaries and stakeholders in accordance with the project proposals and work plans.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated support function portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Plan, facilitate and conduct trainings on business development skills, entrepreneurship and capacity building for beneficiaries on livelihoods diversification and income generating activities
- Provide technical support and appropriate tools to project clients in identifying demand based business ventures and demand based production / products and developing business ideas for youths and female groups
- Support beneficiaries to access to different livelihoods resources and on the identified potential products and services
- Follow up & monitor implementation of livelihood activities as per the plans and take corrective action if any deviation
- Participate in assessment, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation processes of the various intervention activities of the livelihoods and food security program.
- Support and facilitate in conducting of market and protection assessment for the cash based intervention.
- Participate on livelihoods and food security cluster meeting, stakeholders, technical working groups by representing NRC
- Emanate with new ideas for improvement of livelihoods and food security project and contribute inputs for proposal concept notes
- Provide the capacity building to staff under the project officers like assistants, facilitators and data collectors on market assessment, business development skills and data collection tools (Kobo-toolbox)
- Take lead of Durable solution initiatives for the disaster affected communities, advocate and support the relevant stakeholders and duty bearers
- Track project performance, participate grant opening and review meetings, and document project lessons for modification and future programming
- Report timely the periodic Output and Outcome Indicators of the project, PCM tracker and other donor and NRC reports
- Any other task assigned by the supervisor
- University Degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Economics, Business Administration, Sociology, Psychology & related field with minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience in planning, managing, coordinating, and supervising livelihood and food security projects such as business starting up, Provision of agricultural inputs, provision Conditional/Unconditional cash and Multi-purpose cash, organizing of beneficiary training with government on Agricultural practice and livelihoods diversification for income generating activities by focusing on youths and women groups
- Experience working in a humanitarian/recovery livelihoods and food security context
- Familiarity with humanitarian data collection tools such as Kobo toolbox and others
- Experience of performing market and protection assessment for cash based intervention
- Experience of managing team and cooperating with the local authorities particularly line bureaus/offices in the region.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Good knowledge of English both written and spoken
- Proven understanding of the Agricultural and livelihoods development policy and practices in Ethiopia by focusing on Pastoralist and semi-pastoralist,
- Demonstrated high level of conceptual and analytical thinking skills and excellent strategic programme development skills in areas of economic development
- Accomplished trainer with experience developing and delivering training to a wide-ranging audience, such project staffs, stakeholders, national staff and authorities.
- A stable training in program activity Monitoring and Evaluation,
- Desirable having a strong proposal and project report-writing and team building experience and skills
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the livelihood and food security context gaps and needs in Somali region.
- Relevant experience and Knowledge of Somali language is mandatory
- Experience in organizing youths on business starting up in groups, women self-help groups, and working with a community based approach, Skills & Personal Qualities
- Stress resilient, team oriented, oral communication, structured and result oriented;
- Flexible and with ability to take initiative and inspire others
- Ability to work both independently and as a team with less supervision
- Manage performance to enhance results
- Knowledge of project documentation and preparing of lesson learned and good practices
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
- Strategic thinking
- Intimation action and change
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks. NRC requires staff members who travel on an international contract to the field to undergo an medical examination with our medical provider. Employees must produce a Health Clearance Certificate before departure stating that there are no relevant health concerns. If staff are unable to provide this, NRC reserves the right to terminate the Contract of Employment.